Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Merry Christmas?

So this is my first Christmas as a Jewish girl.  Yes, I know I haven't been dunked into the Mikvah yet, but I am living a Jewish life as my Rabbi has instructed.
I have to say it doesn't bother me that people mistakenly tell me Merry Christmas, but when they are insensitive louts like one of my co-workers today...I was speechless.  She asked me for my address the other day, as I recently bought a new place in August...then three days later I get this gigantic Christmas card in the mail with one of those newsletters about her personal life and how greatly successful it is.  A little backround on this:  She recently had a baby.  Unfortunately, I am unable to have children, however, I actually took time out to go to the hospital and visit her and the baby when she had it.  I personally was very proud of myself for getting beyond my feelings and being a good person.
It is common knowledge to most of my co-workers that I have decided to convert....one I go to classes during the week and have had to leave at a few weird hours, two I keep fairly Kosher (only one set of dishes thus far though) and three I happily talk about my Chanukah and other Jewish life experiences.  I will give this girl the benefit of the doubt, as she is so wrapped up in her own stuff, she may not have noticed.  However, part of me would like to send her a belated Chanukah card in Hebrew.  I know revenge is not a good thing in Judaism, so I will "can it" for now.
Thus far I haven't really missed that much of Christmas.  I definitely have not missed the religious part and the marketing madness/stress are something most of us can do without.    I decorated a little for Chanukah with some driedel lights and stuffed Chanukah animals as well as my menorah and that got me through the part I really missed...the decorating.  I wrapped my Chanukah presents beautifully as well, which made it more fun.
I have yet to figure out the best answer to the mistaken Merry Christmas dilemma.  I work with patients and I think most people say it automatically and mean well.  My only answer is Happy Holidays to you as well.  I really don't think it is necessary to put people like this on the spot.  However, I have to find the peaceful way of kindly telling others who may not mean well that it is simply not my holiday.


Kathy
6th of Tevet, 5770 / ו׳ בטבת תש״ע

No comments:

Post a Comment